What to bring with you to obtain a marriage license:
- Drivers licenses, passport, or birth certificate
- You have to know your Social Security Number
- If it is not your first marriage, you must know the end date of the last marriage (divorce-month and year the divorce was finalized, death- month and year the person passed away)
- $51 in cash
-Marriage license is only good for 30 days.
-If the marriage license is not used, the license needs to be returned to the Recorders Office immediately.
-After getting married, the part of the 2 piece license, that has been signed and sealed by our office, must be returned within 10 days after the ceremony.
-After the marriage license is returned, you will need to obtain a certified copy of the recorded license. There is a $10 fee for the certified copy.
Who Can Marry: (451.020)
All marriages between parents and children, including grandparents and grandchildren of every degree, between brother and sister of the half as well as the whole blood, between uncles and nieces, aunts and nephews, first cousins, and between persons who lack the capacity to enter into a marriage contract, are presumptively void; and it shall be unlawful for any city, county or state official having authority to issue marriage licenses to issue such marriage licenses to the persons hitherto designated.
Parental Consent: (451.090)
1. No recorder shall issue a license authorizing the marriage of any male or female under sixteen years of age nor shall a license be issued authorizing the marriage of any male or female twenty-one years of age or older to a male or female under the age of eighteen years of age.
2. No recorder shall issue a license authorizing the marriage of any male or female under the age of eighteen years, except with the consent of his or her custodial parent or guardian, which consent shall be given at the time, in writing, stating the residence of the person giving such consent, signed and sworn to before an officer authorized to administer oaths.
3. The recorder shall state in every license whether the parties applying for same, one or either or both of them, are of age, or whether the male is under the age of eighteen years or the female under the age of eighteen years, and if the male is under the age of eighteen years or the female is under the age of eighteen years, the name of the custodial parent or guardian consenting to such marriage. Applicants shall provide proof of age to the recorder in the form of a certified copy of the applicant’s birth certificate, passport, or other government-issued identification, which shall then be documented by the recorder.